Garden Apprenticeship Description:
The garden apprenticeship is a season-long volunteer commitment. Apprentices meet with our garden staff in their assigned garden each week during the growing season for 1 or 2 hours (time commitments vary depending on the size of the garden).
Garden Apprentices are expected to:
- Commit to meeting our garden staff in their assigned garden each week during the growing season for 1 to 2 hours.
- Assist in a 4 hour garden install alongside our garden staff.
- Interact with the senior they are serving to ensure we are building community centered around food.
- Mid-March – April: Garden installs
- May – September: Weekly garden visits
- October: Winterize gardens
- Back-Farms Potluck and Party to close the season!
*Exact dates vary based on weather conditions, first and last frost dates, & more.
Expect to learn the following:
- Installing a garden/preparing a garden for planting
- Seed sowing
- Companion planting
- Soil amendment
- Pest & weed management
- Winterizing a garden
Garden Apprentices also receive a portion of the produce grown in the their gardens!
Thank you so much for your interest in Back-Farms! This program cannot happen without your contribution. Garden Apprentices truly are the puzzle piece that make this program function. So we extend a heartfelt thank you and are excited to garden with you!