Garden Leader Position Description
Update 6/11/2020: We have hired this position. If you are interested, send us your information and we will invite you to apply next spring.
We are hiring! Our Back-Farms program connects the community with senior citizens who donate their yard space to grow produce. This produce is then shared between the garden apprentices, participating seniors, and Free Farm Stands held at Salt Lake County Senior Centers.
Throughout the entire growing season, Garden Leaders are responsible for properly building, tending, and harvesting up to 15 gardens. In the gardens, the Garden Leader will meet with volunteer Garden Apprentices to teach them gardening skills from our predesigned curriculum. Additionally, all Garden Leaders are responsible for tracking vegetable harvests, taking vegetables to our Farm, and managing volunteer groups. Finally, they will be expected to properly care for our Back-Farms truck, tools, seeds, transplants, and irrigation tools while using them to grow produce.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to work 26 hrs a week
- Meet Garden Apprentices at assigned meeting times
- Teach Garden Apprentices organic and intensive gardening methods
- Construct gardens
- Install and repair custom drip irrigation systems
- Plant gardens using intensive planting methods to maximize production in small spaces
- Lead volunteer groups at assigned gardens
- Conduct two weekly visits at each garden
- Harvest gardens
- Pack harvested vegetables for senior markets
- Maintain professional relationships with participating seniors
- Be communicative with seniors regarding program logistics and protocol
- Track activities and harvests in garden log and report to Back-Farms Coordinator
- Update necessary irrigation and garden install tracking spreadsheets
- Report hours to Executive Director on the 1st and 15th of every month
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs
- Experience working with sensitive communities
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience organic gardening
- Access to freshly grown and locally sourced fruits and veggies
The position begins as soon as possible. Please email Jess at email@example.com a resume and cover letter to express your interest in this position.